Wednesday, September 30, 2015

My Name is Alysia. I Have Cancer.

My name is Alysia.  I am a 35 year old wife, teacher, and mother of two young children. My life took a dramatic turn last Friday when I was officially diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma.  Carcinoma...CANCER.  

I still haven't fully come to terms with the fact that I have this diagnosis.  I have been wandering through the last several days in a bit of a fog. It doesn't seem real.  It's certainly not fair.  I keep telling myself and everyone around me that it's almost over and that as soon as this incision on my neck fades into a barely noticeable scar, all of this will be behind me.  But the more I think about it, the more I realize that my life is going to be completely different from now on.  

My surgery last Friday left me without a thyroid, and the Radioactive Iodine treatment (RAI) that I will undergo in a few weeks will kill all of the remaining thyroid cells left in my body.  I don't know how much you know about your thyroid, but as it turns out, it's kind of an important part of your body.  Admittedly, I knew nothing about it before I found out there were problems with mine.  Allow me to educate you.


Your thyroid is a butterfly shaped gland that sits at the front of your neck.  It produces a hormone called thyroxine (T4) that helps your body maintain a healthy metabolism, as well as regulating your weight and body temperature.  Without your thyroid, your body goes into a state of hypothyroidism because you are no longer producing the T4 hormone.  This can cause fatigue, weight gain, depression, and memory problems.  

Because I no longer have a thyroid, I will rely on a medication called Levothyroxine to help my body regulate all of those functions.  I will take this medicine every day.  For the rest of my life.  It might take a while for us to find the perfect dosage for my body, but right now I'm on a middle-of-the-road amount.  I am hopeful that this dosage will be close to what my body needs so I won't have to experience the dramatic highs and lows I know some people have had to endure when going through this.  Did I mention that I'm a teacher and a mom?  I don't have time to feel sick. 

I have a post-op appointment scheduled with my surgeon this Friday.  At that time, I should have the full pathology report and will hopefully have even more specifics about my cancer. I realize that in everything I have read and from what all of the doctors have told me that the type of cancer I have is very treatable...even curable, which is excellent news.  And while I am definitely going to make the best out of the situation I am in and I will continue to look for positives, I also know that even though there's a great chance I will be able to get rid of all of the cancer in my body, I will still be living with a lifelong, chronic illness. This illness has already kept me from doing my job as a mom this week, and I know there will be more days ahead of me when I won't be able to be there for my kids as much as I would like. I'm going to continue to fight to make sure that those bad days are kept to a minimum so I can live the most normal life possible for the two best things that ever happened to me.

8 comments:

  1. Hi,

    You don't know me, but I know Rachel, and she sent me this link.

    I just want you to know that I am praying for you.

    I don't know what it is like to go through what you are, but God does. He knows all the pain, the fear, and the questions. He will sustain you through it all. Even on the hardest days when we think we can't make it anymore, Jesus is our unfading Hope, and He carries us through.

    "You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you." - Isaiah 26:3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda!

      Thank you so much for taking the time to read my first entry and thank you for your words of encouragement and hope. Please feel free to share this blog with anyone else you think might benefit from hearing my story. I want to bring as much awareness as possible to this type of cancer and give hope to those going down a similar path. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I will be following your blog for updates. The daily devotional today was very good for me to hear at prayer group as it talked about not worrying about tomorrow but living for today. I hope you read it too! I hope you know how much love and support you have at Cowden. Continued prayers for you and your family. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Andrea. I did read it this morning and it was exactly what I needed to hear today. I'm going to make a more conscious effort to enjoy each day as it comes and try to find the joy in the little things I have been taking for granted. Thank you for your love and support ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alysia,
    Keeping you and your family in my prayers. You have a new road to travel, but you are a strong young woman who will find her way on this journey... you're not alone. God is there...you have faith and your family will give you strength. Stay strong...I know it's hard! Call if you just want to talk. I look forward to following your blog. Take care.
    Barbara Armstrong

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alysia you are such a strong and brave lady for all that you have been through and then to share your thoughts and journey with us is so courageous. You are a wonderful wife, mom and teacher and the best thing you can do for everyone in your life is to rest and heal. Let God take care of everything else. The awareness of papillary cancer you are giving all of us through your voice is such a gift. We are blessed to be a part of your life and look forward to your blog updates. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I am a call or text away if you need anything! Love and hugs, Debbie M

    ReplyDelete