Sunday, October 25, 2015

My Diet...Through Poetry

Today marks Day 7 of 8,429 of my low-iodine diet.  Okay, that's an exaggeration.  But it sure seems like it will never end.  I have spent the past week trying to make it seem like a fun adventure, but the truth is that I'm having a really hard time getting through it.  In fact, I have found myself feeling downright grumpy at several points this week.  I miss simple things, like butter and cheese. And it takes every ounce of willpower I have not to sneak bites from that yellow bag of Lays potato chips in the pantry.  I actually LICKED up a tiny bit of pizza sauce that fell off the pizza cutter onto the counter top last night.  It's getting real around here, people. 

The rational part of me is trying my best to stay positive about it because I know this is what's best for my health. So in an effort to keep things upbeat, I have decided to express my feelings about this diet through a series of silly poems.  Enjoy :)

Your Pizza (a haiku)
Longingly I stare
At your pizza topped with cheese
Your plate, it haunts me

What's for Dinner? (a tanka)
I can't have that dish
Far too much dairy and salt
Shall we grill some meat?
Only 6 ounces allowed
With a random piece of fruit 

My Mom (a limerick)
There once was a woman from town
Who didn't want her daughter to frown
She baked up some bread 
So her girl would be fed
Could we please give this lady a crown?

My Mom...Take 2 (another limerick)
There once was a woman named Mary
Whose daughter was banned from all dairy
In a bag she did fill
Some lavosh made with dill
Now this diet seems not quite so scary

Well, wasn't that fun?  No, but seriously.  My family has been so super supportive during all of this, which has made it not as terrible as it could be.  Here is a picture of all the yummy iodine-free things my mom cooked up for me last week (those limericks speak the truth).  It is a huge reminder that I am loved and not alone on this journey.







No comments:

Post a Comment