Monday, October 5, 2015

Scars or scarves?



There it is.  There's no way around it.  Thyroid cancer leaves a lasting scar.  A scar that is in a very noticeable place.  As you can tell from the picture, mine is obviously a lot more noticeable right now because it is still healing, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about what people will think when they see it.  I know that sounds incredibly shallow, but I have to keep things real here. It's a journey...right?

I especially thought about my scar today because I was scheduled to have my picture taken with the owner of Andy B's, a local bowling alley/entertainment center where we had my son's birthday party over the weekend.  They wanted to take a picture of me for their Facebook page...because I WON A TV!!!  Yep.  Sure did.  But, that's a story for another time. 

Anywho, I fretted about what I should wear for this picture because I wasn't sure if I wanted my visible scar to be seen by thousands of people on Andy B's Facebook page. I could cover it up with a scarf or try and dig up an old turtleneck from the closet archives...or I could just wear what I wanted and not give a hoot.  I opted to give zero hoots, and I've decided that's the attitude I'm going to strive to have during all of this.  

I found the following quote today that really inspired me:



I think I'm going to print it out and tape it to my mirror so I can see it as I'm getting ready everyday. 

Sure, I'm going to wear scarves from time to time because scarves are a great finishing accessory and they're awesome.  But if you see me wearing a scarf, just know that it's not because I'm trying to hide anything.  I'm going to also wear my scar as my latest accessory because it tells a story and it's my own personal reminder about my inner strength.  

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing! I'm so proud of you! Love, hugs and prayers friend!

    ReplyDelete